Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Senior Environmental Health and Safety Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Sr. EHS Engineer: Implements the company's Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) program to meet federal regulation compliance for one facility. Oversees the development, planning, and implementation of EHS practices; Updates existing and develops new EHS procedures used throughout the facility. Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local regulations pertaining to EHS. Oversees licensed hazardous waste disposal and monitors waste handling. Develops and provides facility EHS training programs for employees. May be the point of contact for emergency personnel. Ensures appropriate corrective action is taken where EHS hazards exist.
Other responsibilities include;
- Provides guidance to Engineering, Operations, Program, and Facilities groups to assure compliance to Government and Company EHS programs.
- Perform/support documented EHS audits to ensure implemented procedures are being followed.
- Perform inspections and evaluations on the operating floor.
- Coordinates and assists in carrying out internal corporate environmental and safety audits.
- Perform monitoring for potential health hazards in the workplace including: Chemical, Particulate, Noise, Heat Stress, Ergonomic, etc. (A basic knowledge of industrial hygiene instrumentation is preferred).
- Assist in design reviews for new and modified facilities, processes, equipment and tooling, to ensure the change meets Government and Company compliance, and provides for the safety of employees.
- Assist in accident/incident response to contain or mitigate a hazardous situation, and assist in the investigation to help determine causes and corrective/preventive actions.
- Assist in Chemical Management to meet the requirements of the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard, including elements of the Globally Harmonized System for Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS) and maintaining and classifying chemical Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Perform reviews of current policies and procedures to ensure that they meet the most current regulatory and consensus standards.
- Tracks, monitors, and reports on safety metrics providing accurate and timely information to management on safety issues.
- Performs work with minimal supervision following established procedures.
- Education: BS in a Safety/Industrial Hygiene, or related field. Industry experience and relevant certifications will be consider in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum of 2 or more years of experience with the EHS program of a company engaged in manufacturing.
- Understanding and broad application of safety regulations, standards, principles, theories, and techniques.
- Competent in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook). Excellent mathematical, problem solving, written and verbal communications skills.
- Must be a US Citizen or US Person
- Prefer specific experience with technical regulations such as Process Safety Management, and other OSHA regulations as they apply to plant operations.
- Prefer experience conducting safety meetings, safety audits, oversight of safety programs.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 1-3 Years