Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Special Mission Aircraft (SMA) Engineering Lead (Sr. Engineering Manager)
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking a Special Mission Aircraft (SMA) Engineering Lead (Sr. Engineering Manager) for their Fort Worth, TX location. Relocation assistance, while not guaranteed, may be available.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people?s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation?s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work ? and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they?re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.Job Summary
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is seeking a candidate to fill the Special Mission Aircraft (SMA) Engineering Lead position
in Ft. Worth, Texas. The candidate will direct a diverse engineering workforce in the planning, design, systems integration,
and verification of integrated sensor, communication, and datalink systems, weapon systems, and defense systems onto various airborne platforms. The Engineering Lead has responsibilities for direction of the engineering team as well as horizontal integration of processes, procedures, and organizational responsibilities for maintaining safe and efficient business practices in coordination with the other primary organizations within SMA. The Engineering Lead is also responsible for assessing Technology Development planning for future growth and enhancements of
the SMA product lines. SMA provides Integration solutions for products that require a “Quick Reaction” mentality, ie, do more for less and do it faster”. The Engineering Lead works closely with Business Development (BD) in establishment of the Independent Research and Development (IR&D) projects that provide the best benefit for future business.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- A candidate for this position will have had at least 15 years of working experience as a senior engineer within a development engineering department with focus on integrating systems onto aircraft as a senior-level Engineering Manager. The candidate will have had vast experience in product development, personnel management, and a project team-lead.
- The candidate will have had a proven and successful record leading an engineering development team and running site research and development projects. The Engineering Lead will also have had experience working with various software/hardware technologies and will be able to coordinate trade and risk studies for the optimization of products to best support requirements.
- The Engineering Lead should possess Program Management (PM) skills with a proven history of performing program management of complex systems with successful results. The PM skills will provide a solid basis for positive interaction of the Program Management team.
- Specialties of aerodynamic analysis, civil and government systems and aircraft certification, weapons integration and test are a plus for this position.
- The candidate must possess exceptional communication skills both in written and in verbal form.
- Communication skills will be especially important in this leadership position, where clear conveyance of instructions and information down the line to junior development departments will play a significant role in determining the overall performance of the engineering department.
- The candidate must demonstrate natural leadership abilities, being able to influence and inspire a cross-functional team and influence senior engineering leadership.
- The candidate will be a likable and relatable people person who is able to make meaningful and lasting connections with others.
- The Engineering Lead’s people skills will inspire trust and confidence in others who will then readily follow the insights and directives.
- BS Degree in Mechanical/Aerospace/Systems Engineering (or equivalent) is required.
- 15+ years minimum experience in leadership of technical teams to include in-house development and subcontractor activities
- 10+ years experience in mod/maintenance of Special Operations aircraft
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to present complex topics with vision and clarity (written and verbal).
- Must be able to clearly relate to Senior/Executive Leadership, as well as a diverse customer base.
- Above average briefing skills a must.
- Demonstrated history of technical progression leading to a chief engineering leadership position
- Active security clearance is required
- MS Degree in Mechanical/Aerospace/Systems Engineering (or equivalent) is required.
- A strong knowledge of Systems Engineering is desired for this position.
- Multi-disciplinary engineering experience desired.
Experience in leading cross-functional project teams or engineering teams. Experience leading, developing, and reviewing team members
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years