Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is searching for a Mechanical Engineer to join our team within the Launch Vehicle Division at the Chandler, AZ facility.
Perform analysis, design, or test of one or more moderately complex or portions of complex materials, structural components, and functional systems of company products. Generally work from preliminary studies developed by higher graded engineers. Analyze requirements for materials, structural component, or functional systems. Select applicable analytical data from previous products, determine the technical principles involved, mathematically define the problem and compute the engineering characteristics consistent with the specifications, design needs and requirements of other portions of the product. Release results as design data after review by higher graded engineer. Develop original ideas and elaborate on preliminary design concepts. Evaluate completed design with supervisor and other technical groups and make modification necessary to achieve the most ideal design. Develop and coordinate the conduct of test programs requires to evaluate design work.
Duties Specific to the Position
A Mechanical Engineer level candidate provides support to an assigned program under supervision of a Lead Engineer. Under that supervision, the candidate engineer will:
- Research, develop, design, test, and document mechanical structures/components.
- Maintain and improve existing mechanical, electromechanical components, equipment, and system designs for integration.
- Apply sound mechanical engineering principles and techniques.
- Plan, perform, and direct engineering activities to ensure the design, integration, and testing conform to mechanical design specifications and requirements.
- Responsible for gathering, maintaining, formatting, compiling, and analyzing technical data, such as laboratory or material test results and engineering design changes.
- Produce engineering documentation, reports, drawings, flow charts, block diagrams, and schematics.
- Conduct tests and record data to assist with engineering evaluations or analysis.
- Other duties upon request.
- Candidate must have demonstrated experience/knowledge of Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering design fundamentals
- Candidate must have demonstrated ability to read and generate engineering drawings to fabricate component parts and assemblies.
- Candidate should be familiar with 3D solid modeling software. Siemens NX preferred.
- Candidate should possess good written and verbal communication skills.
- Candidate must have basic problem solving skills and computer skills with standard word processing/spreadsheet experience.
- Candidate must be able to listen effectively, take direction, and possess initiative to accomplish assigned tasks and complete work in a timely fashion
Education and Experience
Requires Bachelors of Science Degree in Engineering & 2 years or Masters in Engineering.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- A Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering is highly preferred.
- Candidate must possess good interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, problems solving skills with ability to work with a diverse group of people including technicians, engineers and management and in a variety of work environments. Candidate must be fluent in preparing and reviewing technical presentations and can be frequently called upon to create technical briefs for management.
- Candidate must have ability to travel, expected at least 10% of the time.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years