Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Princ Material Science Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people?s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation?s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work ? and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they?re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Researches, analyzes, designs and tests materials and their related fabrication and application processes to develop and optimize materials for use in engineered applications. Leads a program and/or project team to solve complex technical problems. Develops original technical applications and implements new materials or detailed test programs for the evaluation of new materials or products and processes.
Demonstrated experience in the materials engineering discipline. Basic knowledge of metals, polymer composites, plastics, and elastomers is required. Knowledge of printed wiring board processing and assembly level manufacturing, EEE component and their processing is required.
Candidate shall be responsible for providing basic technical support for a variety of routine tasks including the selection of materials, manufacturing processes and material test methods. Conduct PWB/PWA microelectronic materials and process evaluation, manufacturing, troubleshooting and failure analyses. Support quality organization in microelectronic supplier surveys and audits. Coordinate efforts and analysis results with electronic packaging engineers. Responsible for gathering, maintaining, formatting, compiling, and manipulating technical data such as laboratory or material test reports. Will conduct tests and record data to assist with engineering evaluation or analysis.
- Creates product requirements and manages requirement changes, using established guidelines for a small project.
- Creates and manages both original and revised specification documents for a project and expedites documents through signature approval process.
- Creates and modifies project level management tracking reports. Participates and supports proposal-writing efforts for process, product and/or material science engineering for a portion of a project. Provides data to and manages risk management to assist in the identification of potential risks, and develops mitigation strategies. Provides data for trade study processes for a portion of a project.
- Creates process requirements and manufacturing methods. Manages requirement changes, using established guidelines for a small project. Creates and manages original and revised material science control and process control documents for a project and expedites documents through signature approval process. Creates and modifies project level management tracking reports.
- Creates material science requirements and material lab control methods. Manages requirement changes, using established guidelines for a small portion of the business. Creates and modifies project level management tracking reports.
Education and Experience
Requires BS in Engineering & 7 years or Masters in Engineering & 5 years or PhD & 2 years.
Specific training and/or experience in the principles of chemistry, physics, or any of the specific domains of material science or materials engineering. Preferred degrees are in the fields of chemistry, chemical engineering, material science and material science engineering.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years