Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking a Program Manager to provide talent to our Defense Electronics Systems (DES) group in Northridge, CA.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
The Advanced Programs Program Manager position encompasses the following areas:
- Program Capture - Candidates must have significant experience interfacing directly with Customers and Senior Management to include conducting technical briefings and business case development. Candidates must also have significant experience with Capture Teams, proposal writing, technical white papers and have a clear understanding of Systems Engineering, Smart Weapons, Anti-Radiation Homing and RF Systems. Participate in the creation of technology roadmaps and product development plans.
- Team Leadership – These include selection, development, setting of roles and responsibilities, and provide overall leadership of multiple development efforts. Manage personnel, program priorities, requirements, cost and schedule across multiple efforts to ensure maximum benefit to Orbital ATK and the customer.
- Program Execution – Establish and clearly communicate overall program objectives, mission, vision and strategy. Effective program management taking into account cost, scope, customer satisfaction and schedule. Ensure excellent technical performance on programs that are pushing the edge of technology, while mitigating risks
- Technical Performance – Drive technical excellence by setting program standards, balancing risk, and delivering performance.
- Financial Performance – Track and control costs toproduce profits. Utilize EVMS to manage program costs.
- Company Customer Interface – Represent Orbital ATK and service the customer through program execution. Keep program team focused on customers’ objectives/requirements improving responsiveness at all levels of involvement with the customers.
- Schedule Management – Oversee the development of the program plans and track program schedule through in Microsoft Project, while supporting EVMS.
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Education – Bachelor’s Degree in engineering/physics/applied science; Masters preferred.
- Ability – Demonstrated ability to learn quickly on the job and transition from an engineering role to a program management role.
- Clearance – Active SECRET Required, TS/SCI Preferred.
- Experience – 5 - 9 years of relevant engineering experience as an individual contributor, preferably on a DoD missile system program.
- 5 - 9 years of relevant capture and program leadership experience, preferably on a DoD missile system program.
- Drive technical excellence (by setting program standards, challenging threats, balancing risk, and delivering performance
- Provide quality assurance
- Oversee the development of a program plan and critical milestones
- Meet master program plans and schedules (identifying and assessing risks, and initiating necessary corrective action)
- Represent Orbital ATK as a company (bringing the Orbital ATK message to the customer; and integrating knowledge of the spectrum of Orbital ATK capabilities with understanding of customer needs to promote Orbital ATK)
- Represent the customer to Orbital ATK (understanding the needs and requirements of the customer, and integrating this understanding into proposal development, program execution, and business strategy)
- Service the customer (executing the program and resolving issues in accordance with business objectives, strategy, legal requirements, regulations, contract terms, and company policies)
- Balance the interests of the customer, Orbital ATK, and employees (ensuring stakeholder objectives are aligned)
Program Team Management
- Structure a program team (to ensure maximum performance)
- Identify supporting functional staff
- Develop subordinates, manage team personnel
- Set role and performance expectations, and provide ongoing feedback and performance appraisals
- Provide overall leadership and direction to the program team (to include coaching team members, resolving conflict, reviewing performance, and initiating corrective actions, if necessary)
- Direct the performance of program functions (such as procurement, manufacturing, quality control, and logistics)
- Manage personnel
Supplier and Subcontractor Management
- Oversight for internal subcontract managers
- Review / approve all subcontract Statements of Work
- Assist in identification / set-up of teaming arrangements
- Establish and clearly communicate overall program objectives, mission, vision and strategy
- Establish program priorities
- Champion company values, especially safety
- Ensure program-wide focus on safety, reliability, cost, and schedule, and adequacy of systems, procedures, and people for long-term success
- Oversee program planning and execution through applicable phases: Concept, exploration, engineering development, advanced development, production, sustainment, retirement, etc.
- Meet company and customer requirements (balancing the multiple roles and differing requirements)
- Drive timely and clearly communicated decisions and recommendations
- Generate application of six sigma and “lean” principles and tools (throughout program planning and execution)
- Challenge business impediments to excellence and continuous improvement
- Drive data-based decision making through the program
- Perform execution excellence with performance, cost and schedule control
- Perform risk mitigation, risk cost and controls
- Accountable for financial reporting including profit and loss of each program
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: 50-75%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years
Expertise: Business Development