Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Research and Development Mechanical Engineer 14S
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman is currently looking for a Principal Research and Development Mechanical Engineer (14S) to work in the Composite Structures R&D Engineering group at our Clearfield, UT location.
This position will be in the Composite Structures R&D Engineering group focusing on process technology. This engineer develops manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; and conferring with equipment vendors. Support the Business Development organization in the assessment of opportunities and developing responses to requests for information or proposals with respect to the manufacturing process and selling technical capabilities in the response. The engineer will also function as a principal investigator for a variety of research and development, process service projects and contracted research requiring solid project management skills and a working knowledge of cost and schedule performance measurement methods. Position will require working in multifunction teams to identify and demonstrate innovate solutions to a variety of challenges.
1. Participates in design for manufacturability efforts from engineering development through new production introduction.
2. Resolves complex manufacturing process issues. Improves manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning workflow, space requirements, and equipment requirements.
3. Conducts root cause/corrective action investigation using multiple tools; 5 Whys, Fishbone Diagram, 5D, etc. Implements corrective actions. Evaluates corrective actions for effectiveness.
4. Prepares and delivers technical presentations to manufacturing leadership for review and approval.
5. Design and procure specialized tooling, fixtures and other apparatus. Evaluate high dollar equipment and tooling for annual capital expenditure review.
6. Ensures manufacturing processes are thoroughly evaluated, are effective and have addressed all risks.
7. Educates/trains operators on new and existing processes. Trains and mentors lower level engineers.
8. Serves as principal investigator for IRAD, CRAD and Process Service projects.
9. Supports Business Development in proposal responses and customer meetings.
Education and Experience
Requires BS in Engineering & 7 years or Masters in Engineering & 5 years or PhD in Engineering & 2 years.
Competencies for Success:
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Strong attention to detail
- Initiative, self-starter, works with minimal direction, adaptable, and high motivation for excellence
- High energy, results oriented, self-motivated / self-reliant, team player
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interface with an organization at all levels
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Must have experience with manufacturing of composite structures and materials.
- Must have experience with assembly of complex structures
- Knowledge of root cause / corrective action processes and techniques.
- Experience making technical presentations and recommendations to customers.
- Functional knowledge of Process Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (PFMEA)
- Experience estimating, planning, and streamlining manufacturing processes
- Experience in working with aerospace specifications and requirements
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Please check out latest NGC-ISG video
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years