Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Principal Polymer Scientist
The Aerospace Structures Division of Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently looking for a Principal Scientist (14S) to work in the Composite Structures Materials Technology and Development group at our Clearfield, UT location
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Role description & Responsibilities:
Successful candidate will be responsible for assisting the Materials Technology and Development Team in developing, defining and improving products as measured by customer satisfaction, safe execution, new process development, quality consistency, and project management over owned principal IRAD and Process Service project schedules and budgets.
This position reports to the ASD Manager of Materials Technology and Development team.
The Materials Technology and Development team is focused on identifying and progressing high value R&D projects that drive company and sector future revenue growth. Candidate will have an in depth understanding of polymer science and chemistry, and be responsible for developing the technical solutions for new product pursuits and improvements to processes for existing programs to increase efficiency and reduce cost. Projects will be focused on new polymer materials, such as rubber formulations and processes, composite resin systems (chemistry and formulation), and materials for composite fabrication.
- Develop processes and optimize rubber formulations for pilot scale fabrication of filled and unfilled rubber formulations. Plan and execute the transition to production scale manufacturing and assist in defining equipment and floor plan needs.
- Develop new material systems that are amenable to additive manufacturing, fiber placement and other automated composite fabrication techniques.
- Solve technical issues using root cause methodologies based on underlying scientific principals and an understanding of chemical processes
- Identify and develop technical solutions that meet IRAD and Process Service project goals
- Provide technical decisions and recommendations based on data and project outcomes
- Lead development efforts to reduce cost, increase process efficiency, ensure consistent quality in support of current and future programs
- Work with internal and external partners to champion and ensure success of R&D projects
- Act as principal investigator on selected new proposals and projects
- Manage execution of the project requirements to cost and schedule objectives
- Foster an environment of cooperation and teamwork within the Materials and Technology Development team
- Communicate progress to management on a regular basis
- Maintain a safe and professional work environment
- Maintain company’s Business and Ethics Code of Conduct
- Three (7) years or more of relevant polymer chemistry and related experience; master’s degree or PhD in polymer chemistry, materials science, or related field
- Excellent problem solving skills as demonstrated by experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of polymer terminology, chemistry and cure processes, testing and characterization methods
- Demonstrated knowledge of adhesive bonding methods, surface analysis and chemistry, and test methodology
- Excellent communication and technical presentation skills
- Ability to obtain DoD Secret Clearance
- Aerospace composite manufacturing methods
- Statistical analysis methods
- Active DoD Secret Clearance
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Please check out latest NGC-ISG video
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years