Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Principal Manufacturing Engineer for NDT Processes and Systems
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is the world's top producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and a leading supplier of military and commercial aircraft structures. It also specializes in small and micro-satellites; satellite components and subsystems; lightweight space deployables and solar arrays; and low-cost, quick-to-market launch solutions; flares and decoys; and energetic materials and related technologies. The group also has extensive experience supporting human and space payload missions.
Northrop Grumman is currently recruiting for a Principal Manufacturing Engineer for NDT Processes and Systems, at our ACCE Clearfield, UT location.
The Principal Process Engineer is responsible for the Non Destructive Testing (NDT) processes in the Commercial Aircraft Center of Excellence. The facility produces carbon composite fuselage and engine structures for commercial aerospace programs using high rate, patented technologies. Northrop Grumman’s automated inspection technologies include multiple automated ultrasonic inspection systems (AUIS) in supporting the NDT inspection processes.
- The NDT Process Engineer is the facility expert on the AUIS processes and will become fully proficient with the mechanical, electrical and software components of the machines, including ultrasonic inspection techniques and software.
- They are responsible for the overall inspection process and will oversee, initiate, & implement actions to optimize the processes to meet safety, quality, & production goals
- Maintain configuration control on system hardware & software
- Support the startup of new systems, encompassing:
- Coordinate with tooling to acquire part support and other production support tooling as needed
- Work with the NDI Development group to qualify the new system
- Support part programming for new systems
- Support initial and periodic system performance verification testing
- Conduct root cause/corrective action investigations using multiple tools; 5 Whys, Fishbone Diagram, 5D, etc., and implement corrective action plans.
- Create and/or maintain required process and system documentation
- Work with NDI Operations, Document Control & Engineering to ensure that accurate work instructions and requirements are available on the floor
- Bachelor’s of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or equivalent.
- 7 years’ experience in manufacturing or inspection of aerospace parts and structures
- Aptitude for working with electro-mechanical systems; excellent troubleshooting skills
- Ability to prepare sound presentations and conduct meetings with the senior staff.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, MS Project and PowerPoint.
- Proficient in CAD, data management, configuration control and ERP systems
- Proficient in computers and networking.
- Ability & desire to learn new skills outside of normal work duties, such as software diagnostics, electro-mechanical systems, and ultrasonics.
- Experience in composites aerospace industry.
- Experience with automated inspection systems and composite NDI techniques
- Experience with LabVIEW based systems
Competencies for Success:
- Must have good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to learn new processes quickly.
- Ability to manage time and multi-task.
- Ability to solve problems.
- Ability to work independently and use judgment to make appropriate decisions that support overall project objectives.
- Ability to drive projects and processes.
- Ability to partner with leadership at all levels.
- Ability to troubleshoot problems and resolve issues is a short time frame.
- Ability to work in a team environment and communicate effectively.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems has the people, strategy, agility, and products to thrive in a highly dynamic national security and space environment. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to a diverse workforce.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years